Monday, June 4, 2012

My Four Legged Daughter


I could smell the food cooking and see smoke rise from the grill as I entered Kate’s backyard. A simple picnic table with a cheerful red checkered tablecloth sat in the middle of the grass. There was a sand box, fully in use by my friend's children, with toys strewn about and a swing set behind it. Toddlers were playing with slightly older kids as parents watched, smiling approvingly. No one saw us yet as I looked around, Blondie tethered to me on her leash, in awe of all my friends and the families they had created. I wasn’t jealous, just amazed. Kate brought some more hot dogs and hamburgers to her husband Jack at the grill and lingered by his side as they shared a laugh. Jack was wearing an apron that said Grill King in big letters across the front. Mary’s husband Gab held her hand, looking lovingly into his newly pregnant wife’s eyes. Barb and her husband Mark stole a kiss as Blondie and I entered. I thought to myself, they all make it look so easy, like no one told them that connecting with another human being is one of the most difficult things in the world to do. At least, in my 34-years on this planet, it was for me.  
Suddenly, one of the kids spotted Blondie and in a matter of moments, we were surrounded. I brought Blondie out to the grass on her leash, kids in tow, and we sat down so that the children could pet her.
I looked up, shading the sun from my eyes, as Kate and Barb quickly approached.
“Hi guys,” I said, squinting into the sun. Kate, a natural beauty with her long blonde wavy hair and soft features looked almost angelic with the sun light behind her like a halo. She was wearing simple jeans and a tee-shirt, most likely from Target, with her hair pulled back. Barb and her perfect olive completion had a concerned look on her face as she picked up her son and cradled him in her arms. Her dark, auburn hair was long and silky and her jeans were designer, cropped to show off her new sexy strappy sandals.
“Okay, Sue, its time for you to put Blondie in the garage,” Barb said matter-of-factly. I was in shock. I had never visited Kate without my dog so it hadn’t occurred to me to even ask if my “family” was invited to the “family picnic” or not.
“I’ve made a place for her in there,” Kate added.
“I’m not putting Blondie in the garage. She’s never been put in a garage before. That would be cruel,” I said. “Besides, I have her on a leash. I’ll watch her.”
“Come on Sue, there’re kids here,” Barb went on, kissing her toddler. “We just don’t want to have any bad situation here. I'm sure you understand”
“I don't understand. I said I’ll keep her on a leash,” my voice was strained as the kids continued to pet the object of discussion. “She’s my family.”
“Don’t tell me you think your dog is more important than our kids,” Barb barked accusingly.
“Don’t tell me you think your kids are more important than my dog,” I answered as I got up to leave, the children following.
“Don’t leave,” Kate pleaded.
“I don’t know what I’m going to do yet,” I said as I walked out the gate to the front yard. I figured a little walk to clear my head might be a good idea. So I started down the street. The next thing I knew, six children were running to catch up with us. I looked like the Pied Piper.
“Sue where are you and Blondie going?, little three-year-old Natalie shouted.
“We’re just going for a walk. We’ll be right back,” I answered, hoping they would stay away.
“I want to go with you,” she shouted excitedly as her little legs ran to catch up with us. The others followed. While I was outside in the fresh air, it occurred to me that I didn’t need my friends to agree with me but I did need them to respect my choices. And if they had a problem with me bringing Blondie, they should have told me that ahead of time. It’s so difficult being the single person out. I think married friend forget how it feels.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhhh Blondie was such a great dog!! Miss you Susan ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miss you too! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment!

    ReplyDelete