Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Flirting


“Can I bid on you?” James flirted, smiling but flushed, obviously unsure of himself. “That came out totally wrong,” bending forward he leaned over and placed his elbows on the table, his head in his hands. 
“I don’t know, many have tried tonight but I’m very expensive,” I played along. He looked up at me with those big brown doe eyes that reminded me of my pound mutt Blondie. I noticed his dark, heavy eyebrows furrowed in embarrassment. Immediately, hrelaxed and looked relived that I was playing along with him.
“I’m sorry. I’m not very good at this. I’m James.”
“Well, James, you’re doing a fine job so far. I’m Susan and here’s your bidding number.” By the end of the charity art auction, I had given him my phone number too. He waited the appropriate three days to call and invite me for a drink. We really hit it off but I kept my dog weirdness to myself, still uncomfortable about being judged harshly for my extra strong bond. 
A couple days later, he surprised me with tickets to the Eurythmics Concert at my favorite outdoor venue, The Greek Theater. I couldn't wait to see Annie Lenox that coming Saturday.   

No comments:

Post a Comment